Switch Coal – Solutions Study – 10 Gigatons
Press Release 30.11.23 German First TV – Link to TAGESSCHAU
30.11.23 Berlin, Zero Emission Think Tank (ZETT), Goodfuture Berlin and EDUClimate are pleased to announce the release of it`s new solutions study SwitchCoal, just in time for the COP28 opening day!
Link to study: switchcoal.org/resources
- 90% of the world`s 2,500 coal plants can be profitably switched to Wind-Solar-Battery systems with trillion $ profits.
- shift in paradigms: The authors suggest to switch the current UN motto “act on climate” to “act on climate & profit from it!”, illustrating a new mindset for effective climate solutions with a pragmatic win-win approach.
– to support COP28 delegates results are shown on a Country-by-Country basis in a COP28 guide “Act – Borrow – Cash in” (ABC):
- ACT – pledge coal plant retirements
- BORROW – find financing @COP28 for investment into Wind-Solar-Battery systems
- CASH IN – come home with billion $ profits to catalyze the implementation
Note: Historically, countries have used these profits to lower electric rates for the people or to boost investment returns.
– SwitchCoal is the only chance to relatively easily reduce 10 Gigatons by 2030
– SwitchCoal is the last chance to keep 1.5 degrees within reach
Note: Global climate tipping points are predicted to tip into uncontrollable climate change beyond 1.5 degrees
MAKE NO MISTAKE – SwitchCoal is our last chance for a livable climate on earth.
US shuts down coal (black) – because renewables are cheaper
Will the world follow?
Out SwitchCoal solutions study shows how.
Country-by-Country billion $ profits.